This Privacy Statement explains how information about you is collected, used and disclosed by this website. This Statement applies to information we collect when you use our websites, mobile sites, mobile applications and other online services that link to this Privacy Statement (collectively, the “Sites”) or when you otherwise interact with us, such as by participating in programs.
We may change this Statement from time to time. If we make changes, we will notify you by revising the date at the bottom of the Statement and, in some cases, we may provide you with additional notice (such as adding a statement to our homepage or sending you an email notification). We encourage you to review this Statement whenever you access the Sites to stay informed about our information practices and the ways you can help protect your privacy.
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you sign up to receive email or text message updates, fill out a form, send us an email, communicate with us via third party social media sites, request information, respond to our requests, apply for a job, fellowship, volunteering opportunity, or internship, or otherwise communicate with us. We also collect information about you when you make a donation, purchase this organization’s merchandise, attend one of our events, or participate in one of our programs. The types of information we may collect include your name, email address, postal address, phone number, birthday, credit card number (processed by a third-party payment processor), purchase history, the organization’s program you participate in, photos, videos, audio recordings and other information or media you choose to provide.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Use the Sites
When you access or use our Sites, we automatically collect information about you, including:
- Log Information: We log information about your use of the Sites, including the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and the page you visited before navigating to our Sites.
- Device Information: We may collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Sites, including the hardware model, operating system and version, device identifiers and mobile network information.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies: We use various technologies to collect information, and this may include sending cookies to your computer or mobile device. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that helps us to improve our Sites and your experience, see which areas and features of our Sites are popular and count visits. We may also collect information using web beacons (also known as “tracking pixels”). Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Sites or emails and help deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and determine whether an email has been opened and acted upon. For more information about cookies, and how to disable them, please see “Your Choices” below.
Information We Collect From Other Sources
We may also obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through our Sites. For example, if you create or log into your account through a social media site, we will have access to certain information from that site, such as your name, account information and friends lists, in accordance with the authorization procedures determined by such social media site. We also may collect information from data aggregators, who can assist with updating contact information or identifying demographic information (such as age, gender, giving profiles). We generally use such data to identify and more effectively communicate with current and potential audiences and supporters.
Use of Information
We may use information about you for various purposes, including to:
- Provide, maintain and improve our Sites;
- Facilitate your participation in events and programs that we and our partners host or provide and interaction with other participants in such events and programs;
- Send you confirmations, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- Request feedback and to otherwise contact you about your use of the Sites;
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service;
- Send you newsletters and otherwise provide you with information or services you request or that we think will be of interest to you;
- Solicit volunteers, donations, and support for this organization;
- Include information about you, with your consent, in a directory of all of our program participants;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Sites;
- Personalize and improve the Sites;
- Sending communications to you from carefully selected non-partisan organizations (these organizations will only receive your contact information if you voluntarily share it with them);
- Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your interests in further supporting the organization;
- Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
Sharing of Information
We will not share information about you except as follows or as otherwise described in this Statement:
- With vendors, consultants and other service providers or volunteers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
- With other program participants if you opt-in to participate in our directory;
- With cooperative databases and research vendors who use the information to help their client charities, like the organization, identify individuals likely to appreciate, and respond with support, to charitable communications, unless you opt out as described below.
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with any applicable law, regulation or legal process, or as otherwise required by any applicable law, rule or regulation;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with the spirit or language of our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property and safety of this organization, its employees, volunteers, constituents or others;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any reorganization, formation of a new or successor organization, asset sale or transfer, financing or lending transaction or in any other situation where personal information may be disclosed or transferred as one of the assets of this organization; and
- With appropriate notice to you, with your consent, or at your direction, including if we notify you through our Sites that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information.
We may also share aggregated or anonymized information that does not directly identify you.
Social Sharing Features
The Sites may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook “Like” button), which let you share actions you take on our Sites with other media, and vice versa. The use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
We store the information we collect about you for as long as is necessary for the purpose(s) for which we originally collected it, or for other legitimate business purposes, including to meet our legal, regulatory, or other compliance obligations.
Transfer of Information to the United States and Other Countries
The organization is based in the United States and we process and store information in the U.S. and other countries. Therefore, we and our service providers may transfer information about you to, or store or access it in, jurisdictions that may not provide equivalent levels of data protection as your home jurisdiction. Where required by applicable law, we will take steps to ensure that information about you receives an adequate level of protection where we are processing it.
Contact Us About Opting Out
You may opt-out from being contacted by the organization, also from allowing the organization to share your information with cooperative databases or research entities, by contacting us at privacy at this website. With regard to email communications, additionally, you may use the unsubscribe link that appears at the bottom of emails sent by the organization.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Removing or rejecting browser cookies does not necessarily affect third party flash cookies used in connection with our Site. To delete or disable flash cookies please visit www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/security
Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Sites.
Last updated August 4, 2023